Popiah basah: my favourite snack

There are two types of popiah that are thoroughly popular in Malaysia – the white skin and the deep-fried version. I love the white skin. The white skin is known as 'popiah basah'. 'Basah' means wet, not deep-fried. It soft and mouthful of tasty ingredients such as dried prawns, fresh prawns, juliennes of cucumber, bean sprouts and bits of omelette and fried crushed fritters, and are then slathered with a spicy and sweet sauce before it is rolled into a cylindrical wrap and served with more sauce. Munch it with my favourite rooibos tea... mmm... yummyThe famous popiah basah that I knew; near my previous office at Section 14, PJ. It sold during the Ramadhan but I never tried since the queue was so long (I have to rush back to KL). The best popiah in KL that I ever taste is at Pasar Malam Jelatek. The night market located besides the Jelatek LRT station every Friday. I would rather stand half an hour just to buy RM2 of popiah basah. Almost every Friday night, my dinner was popiah basah and rooibos tea...

More popiah basah that suits my taste? Yes... I never forget the taste of popiah basah that rich of dried prawns and has very special sauce. It sold by an old man with his motorbike. He always waiting for the customers in front of the wet market in Kota, Taiping. At the Larut building, popiah Mohamad has tasty sauce but the face of the old man replaced by the young guy. The tasty taste vanished. It was 19 years passed... Where could I find another tasty popiah basah in Taiping... really missss those complete taste of popiah basah...


pic: The Star

Comments

Saidah said…
wahh speaking london pulak... kalo popia psr mlm jelatek tu mmg saya agree, sangat sedap & best... kalo tak silap nama dia popia azhar.. dulu selalu singgah semata2 nak beli popia tu jer.. dah lama tak kesitu, tak tau ada lg ke tak...
anna said…
ye la puan saidah, popiah tu memang sedap... x tau la camne terskipping london plak..
zumairi said…
popia sambal lagi lazat
anna said…
popia sambal tu camne?

Popular posts from this blog

Loghat teman, siri 2

Sekilas Sekinchan

Tanggungjawab seorang Juruwang